Pages

19 March 2012

Best Birthday Present... An Appendix!!

Well our plans of being in Arkansas with family for my birthday got changed DRASTICALLY! Last Wednesday night, Stephen decided to take off work Thursday afternoon and Friday so he could go to Arkansas to celebrate my birthday with Caroline, me, and the rest of the family! When he came home from work Wednesday, he was having some stomach pains. He was convinced that it was something I had cooked =/.... He had tried everything we had at the house trying to get the paid to subside, so around 10:30pm, he decided to go to Walgreens to get a heating pad {the next day, I see he also had bought Alka Seltzer, Laxatives, and GasX, haha}. After using the heating pad for about 10-15minutes, he was still in a lot of pain so he decided to go to the emergency room. At this point, I realized he really was serious. So it's around 11:15pm, and he drives himself to the ER. Around 2am, I get a text from him saying they had done blood work. Shortly after, I get another text saying they had just finished a cat scan and would have results in 30 minutes to an hour. Then at 2:30am, I get a text that says "Early stages of appendicitis having surgery in hour or two". I freak out!! My husband is about to have surgery and I'm at home with the baby!! So I call both of our parents {Yes, at 2:30am!!}, and my mom tells me she is driving over and will be at our house in two hours so I can be at the hospital with Stephen. Well he was at the hospital near our house, so they gave him a round of antibiotics and fluid via IV which took about an hour then he was transferred to the hospital downtown. He got downtown around 5am, and I got there around 5:30. We finally saw the doctor around 8am, and then Stephen went into surgery at 10am. The surgery took about an hour and a half. The doctor said it went good. He was able to have a laparoscopic appendectomy, and thankfully it hadn't ruptured yet! He had to spend Thursday night in the hospital, and then he was able to come home Friday afternoon. So he is home now, resting, and taking it easy. He can't drive for one week and he can't pick up anything over 10lbs for 1-2 weeks. {Which means he can't hold Caroline!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure this has been and is going to be the worst part for him}. So for my birthday, I got an appendix =) Hah... Here are some pictures of the patient, they were taken on my phone so they are kind of blurry...

The Patient
The cute socks they give you in the hospital - HAH

TWO BEDS TO A ROOM!!! - After finding out this would be his room after surgery, we asked if they ever put two people to a room and she said YES. We quickly requested to be moved to a single/private room!!! 

Cute, Delicious cookie bouquet from his parents

Balloons from Caroline =)


No comments:

Post a Comment